Saturday, July 9, 2011

New Generation meets Old Generation

Last night we went on our weekly journey to Wal-Mart (very dreaded on our part) for formula and this & thats. We pick our line to check out. P was getting kind of tired, as it was almost his bed time. So, I pick him up out of the cart and start to just walk/bounce him around. I immediately spot a little elderly lady sitting on the bench in the front waiting on her party. I say to B, "you will find me by the sweet little lady up front" (like he didn't know that I would gravitate to the little older people = I just love them!) We walk up to her and she pats the seat to sit by her. So, P & I plop down.
She is precious. She is wearing a silky white long sleeved blouse with black polka dots on it, black slacks, she is holding a cane and to make the whole outfit she is wearing a black golfer type hat with sequins on it! Precious let me tell you!
She first off tells P how pretty he is. (I still think @ 7 months old you can call him pretty!) and she pats his feet and she says "Oh his feet are cold" and I said "do you know his hands and feet stay that way? and my MeeMaw used to say 'Cold Hands means Warm Heart', so that is a good thing right?" and she said "and Cold Feet means he is a Sweetheart!" I had never heard that saying but I loved it!
She then proceeds to say, "I bet I am older than your Grandmother" I said "if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? because you look GREAT!" (and she really did!) She said "I will be 96 in August!" and I said "what day? because mine is August 29th" and she told me it was the 3rd! I again told her she looked wonderful! and she was back on Pierce saying "you are a cute red head!" :) I didn't correct her, because honestly I think his little hair has some red in it! but I thought it was fun to see what others see in him!
B then came to pick us up to leave. She patted P again and we said our farewells.
But I had such a swollen happy heart. The older people are such good people! I will be very sad when that generation is gone, because they put such a wonderful light on life!
I prayed for her last night. She has been in my mind this morning!
I just wish P could remember meeting her.....
;)

No comments: